Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Handmade Christmas Part 4


It is 2:00 in the morning and I have finished my children's new suitcases for Christmas. New to them at least, they are all thrifted, and try as I might for the past I don't know how many months I tried to find 3 of the same size to no avail. This was a really simple project, I just cut out fabric with pinking shears and mod podged away. I am excited to see what my children think Christmas morning. And then I can't wait to see them pack them up for the first time to take to Nana's house, how cute!
I can't believe Christmas is almost here, and I am still scrambling to get ready!

11 comments:

* elizabeth * said...

That is such a great idea! You're gifts are all so inspired!

dana said...

Wow! I know I said you were a cool mom before. But seriously? These suitcases? I'm completely and extremely jealous NOT to be your daughter. Okay, that sounds really weird. You know what I mean. :) Awesome gifts.

Joanna said...

I am totally and completely in love with these suitcases! You are so clever to think of this:) I think after Christmas I need to get to the thrift shop and get myself some of those lovely old suitcases. I even bought modgepodge this week! Who knew?!!

Becky J. said...

congrats amy they are sooooo cute!!! i love them all. they will too. sometimes i think that i am more excited about the homemade presents then they will ever be. i am wishing us both luck ;)

Anonymous said...

I really want to know more details on how you crafted those suitcases so beautifully. Modge as a base and then fabric and then more modge? Please enlighten me.
Heather

Amy said...

Heather- I had no way of getting back to you so I hope you check here. I put mod podge down first, then the fabric, the I mod podged over the fabric, then when I was all done I did one final coat of mod podge over the whole thing. I may even spray a clear coat of polyurethane over it too. Have fun!

April and Jared Fenn said...

I love those suitcases! Did the kids love them on Christmas morning?

Dana said...

I always look for vintage suitcases and train cases at the thrift shops. I haven't had any luck in ages!

These are GREAT!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! I did check back and I also really like your posts about your handmade Christmas.
Heather

julie (jane's apron) said...

LOVE these!

Elizabeth said...

Those are beautiful! Great idea.