Tuesday, January 11, 2011

fabric, a sneak peek, and a confession


I couldn't help but to purchase some Ruby Star Rising, I absolutely love this fabric. I mean seriously, view masters, transistor radios, and tea pots? Here's where I purchased mine.


It's killing me not to be able to show you this quilt I have been working on. I think it is my favorite quilt I have made so far. I just have the binding left to finish on it. But I can't show you it until after I give it to my sister who is having a baby boy who will be named Preston.
I guess I am just going to have to be patient and wait until after the shower, it's going to be a few weeks. It's the cutest thing ever though, I promise, my girls even want to keep it for themselves.

Here's the confession part of the post:
I spent my entire evening (cough cough, like 4 or so hours cough cough) last night looking online for anything to do with American Girl dolls. You see, Santa brought Kinsley an American Girl doll for Christmas and now for her Birthday she wants more outfits for it. The thing is, that Santa had a really hard time forking over the $100 for the doll and $28 for one extra outfit, Santa doesn't even want to mention how much it cost to get it shipped.
Now maybe you are thinking hey, that Vintage Fern girl knows how to sew, why doesn't she just make clothes? Well, I will make some, but the thought of sewing little tiny clothes from a pattern makes me want to pull my hair out and say bad words. I told Kinsley I will make a pillowcase dress and some skirts and a tutu, and maybe a few other simple things, but that is as far as I go. Enter spending my entire night online searching through tons of listings on Etsy, googling 18" doll clothes and tutorials, and searching local KSL ads. I was also looking into crochet patterns, I have an aunt that has awesome crochet skills and I think I may ask her to crochet some things. In the end, I ordered a couple outfits that Kinsley had picked out because Nana (my mom) wanted her to find something for her Birthday that is coming up next month.
And then, through my searches on KSL, I found this cute shop online Daydream Doll Boutique.
They have well priced cute things, and I spent forever deciding what few things to get to go with what I will be making for her. I feel like kindof a dork, but I am super excited now about making a few things and getting everything put together for her Birthday.
I may feel like even more of a dork in April, my Mom is taking my 3 sisters and I to the Mall of America, and guess what store is there? The American Girl Store, I will probably get just as excited to go look in there :)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, I love that fabric too!! I need to buy some of it.
I also need to check out that doll website. Santa feels the same way at our home. My daughter has 3 American Girl dolls and there's no way I'm spending $28/outfit to fund their wardrobe!! No. Way. Thanks for the tip!

www.thesoutherninstitute.com

Teaching with Grace said...

Since our little girl has started showing an interest in dolls, my husband has been looking at how to build furniture for 18' dolls. I might make some doll blankets... but clothes? No way! I'm definitely with you on that.

Kitten's Lost Her Mittens said...

Hey, the Mall of America is in the Twin Cities, where I live! I would totally love to meet up with you in person at some point during your visit if you have the time. How cool would that be?!

Joanna said...

There are patterns galore in pattern books at places like Joann's. 18 inch doll clothes are so popular now! I'm so glad you daughter got one and is loving it! Our girl would desperately love a real one but alas the poor child has to make do with the fake ones from Grandma! Such is life :)

jessica said...

Hey! I made a bunch of american doll dresses- and I'm selling them for $12. Check them out!

http://www.ragamuffin-baby.com/2010/08/doll-dresses.html

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled upon your blog because of your scrap table runner which by the way is way too cool! but you can buy 18" doll clothes that fit American Girl dolls at TARGET! My daughter, who is now 19 and in college, had 2 AG dolls. Kit and Kirsten :-)
We bought several cute outfits at Target and if I remember correctly, Toys R Us sells 18" doll clothes also. I also bought a set of bunk beds for hers at either toys r us or target. they were pink metal and I made blankets to fit. Have fun with the doll with your daughter; they are super fun!!!
Robin
www.robinpich.blogspot.com
thirtyone13.etsy.com

Shari said...

You might want to check out Emily Rose @Home. I found them when I went looking for less expensive alternatives to AG. I went from being a happy customer to a business owner. Now I do doll themed home parties along with my daughters, and it's a lot of fun.

Enjoy this dolly time with your daughter. It passes so quickly.

For the Little Doll In Your Life
www.centralnjemilyroseathome.blogspot.com