Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Homemade Granola


So, last Thursday I went to Kelly's natural health support group meeting.
The past couple months I have been making an effort to feed my family even better. So, Kelly's class came at the perfect time. It was a little boost in my efforts, she talked alot about feeding your family with whole foods, which is exactly what I would like to strive for. We do somewhat, but there is definitely room for improvement, and let's be honest, there probably always will be. No one is perfect and with what we are presented in regards to food, it can be hard to eat whole foods. As long as I am trying, I will be happy, and it always helps to have that little boost of encouragement at times. Also at the class, Kelly had a friend of hers come and talk to us about Doterra essential oils. Kay, I am super excited about these. I have been somewhat familiar with essential oils, having a Dad who is into herbs and vitamins. After learning just a little bit about these oils, I am super excited to try them out, we have many things in our little family that could benefit from a bit of natural healing; Diabetes, hypoglycemia, reoccurring urinary tract infections, asthma, allergies, migraines, anxiety. Are you happy to know all of our problems? :)
I ordered a family physician kit that has 10 different oils in it, I thought it was a good place to start. I'll let you know how we like them.
I've been trying to find better options for breakfast lately. I made this granola the other day with a few changes: I didn't add the brown sugar, and I added some flax seeds to it after it was baked. Casey and I like it, the kids like it without milk. I may still have to experiment to find a recipe my kids like with milk. I also made these Mormon muffins, these are so good! We went to The Rainbow Gardens restaurant awhile ago and they served Mormon Muffins with our meals (which were also delish) and Casey and I loved them, so I was so happy to see that they had the recipe on their site. You must eat them with honey butter, so yummy! I made them exactly as the recipe says, but next time I make them, I am going to use butter instead of shortening, shortening grosses me out. If you make them, you will want to half the recipe, I did and it made about 27 muffins, filling each about 3/4 full of batter.

Now I am off to do some cleaning, hang out with the kids (they don't have school today), and hopefully get some sewing projects done.

1 comments:

Roxane said...

I love your quilts so much! I saw one at one of your shows and have been mad that i didn't buy it.