Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Clearing out the clutter!

Today, I have decided to forgo etsy day. And I don't have any pictures for you today, sorry. My life lately has consisted of getting rid of things, and I just wanted to share with you how cleansing and relieving it can be. I went through my house and got rid of things, and had a yard sale, all the things left were donated. I have been selling off inventory from my wedding decorating business, not only is it making tons of room, but we are making a bit of extra cash too! I now have room for things where before I would just shove them where I could. Let me explain a bit more, cause I don't want to sound like I just collect a lot of crap that I don't use, because that is not the case. We have a small home, which is fine, I love our home, but with having 3 girls, a large crafting habit, and still storing a almost a whole wedding decorating business, it takes up alot of room!

Also I have been trying to balance my life, which for me has meant letting go of some things, because I tend to give myself way too much to do.

My house feels cleaner, my head feels clearer, I'm not as stressed, which is awesome!

So here are a few tips I would like to share that work for me:

- If I haven't used an item in the past year, I think, do I need it, do I want it? If not get rid of it!
-When it comes to buying something new, Do I love it? Will I use it? Will I still love it years down the road? Do I have room for it? Do I have the $ for it? If I answer yes to these questions, then I buy it. If not then I don't.
- To the above question of do I have the $ for it, I'm going to add, we have also been getting rid of our debt, not that we had a ton, but I only want to have a mortgage payment. So we are not weighed down with lots of bills. We are close to that goal, and I already feel better, what a great feeling it is to not owe anyone $!
- About letting go of things, for me this is hard and I don't really know what advice I can give to this. I am a busy person, I like to be busy, but lately it has been too much, so I stepped back, and took a look at all of the things I am involved in and decided a couple of things I could let go of. For me it is Wedding cakes and wedding decorations. It has been a huge sigh of relief to let go of these things.

Sorry for the lengthy posting of my thoughts, these things have just been on my mind lately.

I encourage you to take a look at your life and try to simplify even just one thing in your life, and you will notice a difference! IT FEELS SO GOOD!

4 comments:

Joanna said...

Oh that is great advice and I will take it to heart. We moved from Salt Lake to NH 2 years ago and instead of taking our stuff with us we sold everything and started fresh. You are sooooo right - it feels wonderful not to be weighted down with crap! But alas it's been 2 years and it is slowly coming back. So this is a timely post for me. We either need to moved cross country again or be ruthless! Thank you!!

Jessica said...

Your words about cleaning out and simplifying really resonated with me. I, too, have been trying to simplify my life and get rid of stuff. I've been trying to improve the balance of my life for a while now and sorta/kinda/almost have it. Now I'm inspired to clean out and get rid. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Wonderful advice. I can give it but listening to myself is another story. lol

Anyway, I absolutely loved my swap package you sent. I posted on it and added pics. I love it all! You are so talented. The market tote is awesome. The cards are too pretty to share. =) and the case is soo cute. I put it in my purse for cash, since I usually just shove it in my purse and have to hunt to find it. Thank you so much!

hugs,
Tammy

* elizabeth * said...

Throwinf things away is the rgeatest thing ever! I am the queen of tossing stuff! It's so liberating. you reclaim your space. you appreciat what you keep even more. Hooray for you! Tossing stuff is great!