Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Girly skirt

I made 2 of these skirts this past weekend, for my two youngest daughters. My oldest doesn't wear skirts as much, she will get some new pants soon. These are the most simple skirts ever.

Do you like Jade's face, I don't think she was very excited to pose for me. Here's how to make one: (These would be directions for someone that has basic sewing skills already) The main skirt is a 48" rectangle. So that means it is 48" by whatever length you want the skirt plus 4". I decided to try it as a 44" rectangle so that I could just use the width of the fabric and it worked just fine. Fold it in half right sides together and sew together. Now you have the tube for the skirt. Hem the bottom and make a casing for the elastic. Then measure your daughters waist, and this is what I have found, cut the elastic 3" shorter than your measurement and it should fit perfect. Thread your elastic through the casing, sew with a zigzag stitch, sew up the casing and now you have a cute skirt! From there you can add a pocket or trims or whatever you want !
What I think is the coolest about this skirt is that it is made from thrifted fabric and vintage buttons that were given to me.

0 comments: