Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Patchwork skirt love


I haven't been able to stop thinking about this skirt tutorial from the Moda Bake shop.


So I made one.

And then had my 7 and 5 year old take pictures for me. I think they did pretty good.



There was a few things I did differently from the tutorial. First, it called for a layer cake and a jelly roll which I did not have, so instead I picked 25 different fabrics from my stash which made it easy because I needed 25- 10 inch squares and 25- 2 1/2 inch strips. Another thing I did differently was I didn't make the waistband, I just folded down the top of the skirt to make the waistband. Also, if I make another one of these (which I probably will) I will serge all my pieces together. I just sewed everything together without thinking about the raw edges. (so now I will have a lovely stringy mess under there, oh well!) If I would have used a layer cake and a jelly roll they would have already had pinked edges.

And I have to say that I LOVE THIS SKIRT!

9 comments:

Allison said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Allison said...

I'm like the worst commenter ever, so its ok. :) I love your skirt, its so cute! I would sleep in it and never take it off. :) -Allison

Shannon said...

That is a fantastic skirt!!!! Ugh about the strings, but oh well! It is definitely cute, cute, cute!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, it's so cute and VERY twirly!

karin said...

That is one lovely skirt. Very gipsy, as we call those skirts here. I really like it!

the mama monster said...

seriously cute skirt. like karin said very gypsy.

Unknown said...

Cute skirt!! I love the variety of fabrics :)

* elizabeth * said...

It's so perfect! And it's exactly what I picture you in, haha! You're always dressed so wonderfully anthropologie in your photos! i must try this pattern!

STEPHANIE. said...

oh my goodness! I love this skirt!!!!!!! Such great colors and fabrics!