Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Cupcake and cake stand tutorial of sorts

I just love a cupcake with a stand all it's own. And it's super easy to make too.
The cupcake by the way is homemade by me, and it is part way sugar free if that makes any sense. Casey's birthday was on Monday and he requested his favorite German Chocolate. So I experimented with the Stevia baking blend again with success this time! The icing I was afraid to experiment with so that has sugar. These cupcakes are delish I tell you and you wouldn't even guess that the cake had no sugar in it. Anyways on to the tutorial.

Here's what you need:
Plates: I purchased mine at Anthropologie in the sale section months ago. The small plates went with teacups, but the teacups were missing, so I got them for a steal, and they are perfectly sized for cupcakes. You could get plates anywhere, your cupboard, the thrift store, anywhere.

Candlesticks, votive holders, really anything that would serve as a base for your plate.
I got mine at the thrift store.

Glue: I used E6000, you could use epoxy too, not sure if one is better than the other, I just used what I had on hand.

First, make sure everything is clean and dry. Then you could take some sandpaper and rough up the spots where you will glue together. I didn't because I didn't feel like finding the sandpaper. Then just glue together.


I tried to get a shot with glue on the candlestick, didn't really work.
You want to put enough glue to get it attached good, but not too much, you don't want glue oozing out all over the place.


Then let them dry, for however long your glue says, E6000 says 24-72 hours.


Now you have some super cute cupcake or cake stands!
Now bake a yummy cake or cupcakes to put on them!
I would recommend hand washing your new plates.

6 comments:

amylouwhosews said...

What a cute idea! I bet you could find some good teacup missing saucers at DI too! I may have to do this!

Heather @ Life Made Lovely said...

Oh, I love this! I see a treasure hunting trip to Goodwill in my future.

Thanks for tutorial!!

Anna said...

these are so cute! Thanks for the tutorial!

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding me! This is so creative! I'm definitely trying this. :)

the mama monster said...

hey i just posted a similiar project on my blog the other day using some things from dollar tree. guess we all have cupcakes on the mind! i also used mine for halloween and have some in my bedroom with jewlry in it.

kathleen said...

how very clever . . . i think i'll give this a try . . . thanks for sharing! :)