Wednesday, June 23, 2010

fabric yarn factory

So, you know those potholders you made when you were little with the looper thingies?
Kinsley has been making those for awhile and we decided it was time to make some nicer ones.
So, yesterday it was a fabric yarn factory in our house. Once I got making it, it was sortof addicting and therapeutic to rip all that fabric. Plus, Kinsley gets going on these things and she churns the potholders out, so I wanted a nice stash of fabric yarn ready for her :) Most of it is from vintage sheets.

I bought an awesome loom from Craftsanity. They have a few different sizes, I am thinking about getting another size or two if Kinsley keeps making them.


Here is a finished one that I made, I had to try it out too! They are fun and quick to make, no wonder Kinsley loves them!
Kinsley is going to make these to sell at craft shows with me isn't that the cutest? My 10 year old artist :)


11 comments:

Kim's Treasures said...

What a great idea!!!

* elizabeth * said...

those are so incredibly awesome! will you be listing in the shop, hint hint.....?

Jeni Baker said...

So cute! I used to love making those when I was little! I wonder if I still have the tool somewhere... hmm! :)

Bessie handmade vintage and retro fabric bags said...

Your potholders are very pretty! They would be great to rest teapots on. My 10 year old daughter helps me with our craft too- I have a few winter projects for this holiday. I would love to try my hand at braiding a rug like Grandma's - will put it in my queue.

Becky J. said...

how wonderfully cute! perfect for summertime crafting too- she might the loom knitter for making scarfs during the winter.

Julie said...

Fantastic that you've past down your love of handicrafting to your daughter... I totally feel it's important for all young kids, girls and boys alike, to learn a hands-on craft, art or hobby that they love... its something that will stick with them for life.

Such a cute little craft, one that I will have to deposit into my mental bank for when my 19 month old girl turns a good fabric crafting age... I recently re-discovered corking... do you remember that from when you were a young girl? Or maybe you're too young yourself to remember, yikes, showing my age... You knit yarn onto a little circular knitting loom and what you're left with is a super loooong yarny worm - too funny... anyway...LOVE your heartwarming blog :)

Tribe M said...

I have to tell you, I bought some stuff from your table at the Oh Sweet Sadie Boutique and love love it! I took a bus card and then added you to my favs. Now I find myself reading your blog and being so inspired by your insane craftiness! You are so creative. I don't know how you do all that you do. I love the cute things that you make and will continue to buy them for myself and friends!
-Amanda

poppyart said...

the package of fabric arrived here. thank you so much ! i love it all. and recognise the one you made the tunic from. will post pics soon. all fine here. 2 weeks to go before baby and would you believe it?... a heatwave here. whew. bridgetx

Heather said...

Way cuter than the boring old red/blue/yellow ones I made when I was a kid. Great idea!

Anonymous said...

Fabric potholders last! I still have six in everyday use, made in the 1950s. They wash up securely. My favorites!

Coffee Girl said...

Hello. I realize you may not see this but I am going to try. I am going to buy this loom but how do you use the fabric yarn to make a potholder? I have been using the loops loom & really enjoy it. I am 70 & guess am going backwards in my crafts. Thank you for your time.