Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Blessings

This morning I had the blessing of being able to take someone from my church to the Bishop's Storehouse. You can click on the link to learn a bit more about the Bishop's storehouse, it basically is a place set up like a little grocery store. It is payed for by fast offerings from the members of the LDS church. When I got the call yesterday to see if I would be able to take this sister to the storehouse I said sure, but I was also thinking, what am I going to say to this sister on the drive to and from the storehouse ( I am shy, not as bad as I use to be, but still shy). Before I left this morning I had a little prayer so that everything would go well, I would know what to say to her and I wouldn't make her feel uncomfortable. I picked her up from her home and we drove to the Bishop's storehouse, I didn't have a hard time talking to her, she was very sweet. I walked into the storehouse with her, I was a bit excited to see what it was like, I have never been to one before. It was set up like a tiny grocery store and they also have a section where there is clothing and some fabric and yarn (there was some cute fabrics too) :) I asked the lady at the front if there was anything I could do to help while I was waiting, she thought for a minute, but couldn't think of anything, so I went out and brought my crochet bag in and sat and crocheted while I waited for the sweet lady I brought to get her things. I wasn't expecting some of the feelings I had while I was there, I had to hold back tears part of the time. It was kindof a busy place, filled with people from all walks of life, probably out of jobs because of this economy, or just needing some extra help. I've been on the receiving end of service before, and it isn't easy to admit when you need help. There has been times, especially when it was just Kinsley and I and my meager earnings that my Mom would take me to the grocery store and buy a cart of groceries for me. My parents even bought a place for Kinsley and I to live after I got divorced and charged me next to nothing for rent. There have even been times while Casey and I have been married that we have needed help, and it has always been there even though I didn't like to admit we needed it.

Little did I know that this simple service of driving someone to get some things they needed would make such an impact on me. My heart is full today, and I am in amazement of the service work my church does and I am so happy to be able to contribute to it.

Just wanted to share :)

3 comments:

Amy Seven-Stitches said...

Wow. It kind of make you think doesn't it? It's not always the things that help, but having the actual bodies to get you to where you need to go and do the things you need to do - like fill up your trolley.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this lovely post! I volunteer at a place for women and feel these same feelings of blessing each time I am there. I invite you to check out our little blog. theriverforwomen.blogspot.com

Becky J. said...

i love that place--- i was suprised that you could buy yarn and fabric too so they can make thier own blankets if they wished. i love that.